Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On Apparently Not Being Good Enough

Sis,

You are as well read as anyone, and you know as much about classical music as anyone. Depends on what you measure it against. If you rate yourself against a literature professor or a music professor, then you might be found wanting. But if you rate yourself against the general public, then you're doing okay. Of course, you can always learn more - whatever is the point of breathing every day if you don't learn something new? So take a deep breath and enjoy the journey.

I still need to go to Library Thing and start listing my books. I was looking at my library last night (all my books are in my bedroom - well MOST of my books are there), and I got a little overwhelmed about where to start the list. I read genres in seasons. For awhile I was very into science fantasy; then straight "literature" (like Dickens and Trollope); then what the girls call my "God" books (I still read a lot of those kinds of books). What I've discovered is that I find an author and read everything I can get my hands on. For example, I read several books by Cormac McCarthy (i.e., The Border Trilogy, The Road), but they got me too depressed (I don't think he ever wrote anything cheery), so I switched to Kim Edwards (The Memory Keepers Daughter). Then A. Manette Ansay (Midnight Champagne and Vinegar Hill). But again, I found her books reprising the same general theme, so I'm off her for awhile. Right now, of course, I'm reading three books at a time because they are my Bible study books. And for "fun" (if you can call it that) Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller. I just saw the movie the other evening, and I must say I think I like the book better. But then I haven't quite finished the book yet, so I should probably reserve judgment. Otherwise, I don't take much more time for reading because I've got so many other irons in the fire. So many things to do and so little time!

I like your blog. Hopefully we can keep in better touch.

Hope Debbie is feeling better soon. And I hope you figure out something to get a new TV.

Marti

No comments: