Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Choral Society practice

Last night was Springfield Choral Society practice. I auditioned in August. Rehersals stared in mid September. This is a much harder group than I am used to. A lot of the people in the group are trained muscians, music teacher, or just plain know more than I do. This group does two concerts a year. One at Christmas and one in the spring. Last summer they went on tour to Spain. They don't go on tour every year. I think the director is think maybe in another two or three years they may go again...but she isn't sure where. Choral Society Springfield Illinois This is the link to the group's web page if you are interested.
The music for the Christmas concert is really testing my upper range. Thank goodness most of it is in english. The director decided last night that we are doing one song in German. (groan). Luckily for me I sit right next to a lady named Cindy who teaches at Millikin University. Besides teaching private voice she also teaches Opera Staging and get this...Pronounciation of foreign languages for Opera student. I kept having to ask her "how do I pronouce this?" She was very patient. I think she must be inwardly chringing everytime I sing.
Mob rehersal is tonight. (Mature Mob--the other group I belong to made up of people over 50) The Mob is a piece of cake compared to Choral Society. I'm the one chringing with this group. Two different groups. In one I am a small fish in a big pond and in the other I am a big fish....well at least not a guppy.
Missy went back to school today. Hurray!!!! She is still kind of whimpy. She will probably come home tired and crabby.
More later
Kathleen

No comments: