Sunday, October 26, 2008

O Magnum Mysterium

I will miss Choral Society tomorrow night because Mature Mob show opens on Thursday and we are in the final rehearsals at the Knight of Columbus. I enjoy the Mob, but I sit through a lot of rehearsals cringing. I don't say anything because it isn't my place. The voices at Choral Society are on such a different level. I found the hardest song we will be singing for the December concert on U-Tube. Thought you might like hearing it. YouTube - O Magnum Mysterium (Morten Lauridsen) It is so beautiful. It takes all my concentration to sing it.

Started a little book last night. It is called "Ex Libris, Confessions of a Common Reader" by Anne Fadiman. It is a collection of essays by the author on books. Missy thought it was very strange that I was reading a book about books. The first couple of essays were very easy and sort of funny. The first one about her husband her combining their libraries after several years of marriage was particularly cute. The more I get into the more I notice how Ms Fadiman likes to use big words and talk about books I doubt the "common reader" has in their libraries. Maybe our ideas of what a "common reader" is are two different definitions. I will keep reading and let you know if it gets any better.

1 comment:

Marti_Y said...

I think I read an excerpt of that essay about combining the libraries somewhere. I agree with you - her idea of a "common" reader is not the same as mine!